I love food. Mostly I love to eat it and take pictures of it. And tell other people about how amazing it is.
I’m working on loving the cooking part of it. When I added a food section to this website, it wasn’t with the intention of becoming a food blogger. Similar to why I started blogging about type 1 diabetes, I see this as a good opportunity to improve my own cooking skills, to challenge myself to prepare healthy meals, and to showcase some stellar recipes that others have tried and approved.
One person that I plan to feature a lot is my sister. Earlier this year she was diagnosed with celiacs disease. Part of her journey has been learning what she can eat, but also finding and modifying recipes to fit her dietary needs. A lot of times her alternatives are healthier, low carb versions of popular foods (although not always). But every time she texts me a picture of her dinner, my mouth starts to drool. I figured that many of the people who read my blog would also be interested in what she’s been cooking.
So to start us off, here’s a recipe for Cheesy cauliflower crust pizza that my sister made. She found the recipe from the food blog, Jo Cooks and I’ve copied Jo’s recipe below. The only difference my sister did is that instead of making the cauliflower dough into breadsticks, she just made a giant pizza. You can see below how beautifully it turned out.
- 4 cups of riced cauliflower (about 1 large head of cauliflower)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese (I used a Tex Mex blend because that’s all I had)
- 3 tsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees. Prepare 2 pizza dishes or a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure your cauliflower is roughly chopped in florets. Add the florets to your food processor and pulse until cauliflower resembles rice.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwavable container and cover with lid. Microwave for 10 minutes. Place the microwaved cauliflower in a large bowl and add the 4 eggs, 2 cups of mozzarella,oregano, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Separate the mixture in half and place each half onto the prepared baking sheets and shape into either a pizza crust, or a rectangular shape for the breadsticks.
- Bake the crust (no topping yet) for about 25 minutes or until nice and golden. Don’t be afraid the crust is not soggy at all. Once golden, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Slice and serve.